Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution involves keeping and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server administered by a hosting vendor. There are various classes of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a glimpse at these. Doing so, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to create a web site, mails, or to share files with friends and associates.
- File hosting: a service supplied by some hosts, which lets you share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting plans are often supported by exhibiting ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain interval of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly fallacious explanation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would apportion the workload between independent bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous web site hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a type of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain distributors offer a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting brand is good if you wish to share a large amount of pictures with buddies or partners since the service is generally free of cost. You will receive a random link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to managing your electronic mail accounts. Some firms offer hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you wish to launch an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video produces a specific amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred web site viewers, you may have trouble with your web space hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to possess as many video files as you want without bothering about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to own a site. To a certain degree, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and email addresses, upload video files, and so on. At LiquidNet Ltd Hosting, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the form of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.